Find results with:
The Archives of Michigan is located on the second floor of the east wing of the Michigan Historical Center. The building is between Allegan and Kalamazoo streets, The address is:
Michigan Historical Center
702 West Kalamazoo Street
Lansing, MI 48915
- Monday – Friday: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Saturdays: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Although our reading room is only open in the afternoon during weekdays, our reference staff answers emails, phone calls, and letters from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. We will be closed Saturdays related to the following holidays: Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.
If you would like more information on the Michigan Historical Museum, please click the button below.
Before your VisitHow can you prepare to get the most out of your visit?
Unless you are part of a large group, it is not necessary to make an appointment to do research in the Archives. We are, however, happy to discuss your topic and potential resources with you if you call or email before your visit. Keeping the following tips in mind may also help your research visit go more smoothly.
- Know dates, places, and government agencies related to your topic of research as much as possible.
- Have specific records in mind.
- Know legal descriptions if you’re looking for land records.
- Check online guides and online indexes before you arrive.
If you are part of a large group who would like to visit the Archives of Michigan, please contact us in advance.
What to Expectat the Archives of Michigan
Visiting the Archives of Michigan might seem intimidating, but it does not have to be! Archivists are happy to help you find what you need. If you click the “More” button, you can find additional information on how to get a card for the Archives, what material is available for you to browse, and our policies for viewing archival records and making copies.
Can’t Visit?Research Services
If you are not able to visit the Archives of Michigan, our staff does provide some research services. If you need research services beyond our scope, we also have a list of local researchers you can contact.
Search Our Catalog:
How to search Death Records:
You can search for death records by using the “Advanced Search” button in the top right corner of any page.
- Click the “Advanced Search” button in top right corner of screen.
- Select field you wish to search, such as “Given Name,” from “All Fields” drop down menu.
- Type name, county, or year into blank box.
- Click “Search” button.